At the US Aquatic Sports Convention in September, 2010, USA Swimming launched a new initiative for the protection of Athletes. Initially called “Athlete Protection”, the name was changed in 2012 to reflect the extension of protection policies to all members of USA Swimming, including athletes, coaches, officials, and non-athlete members/volunteers of USA Swimming. It is now referred to as “Safe Sport”. The USA Swimming Code of Conduct, Article 304 of the USA Swimming Rule Book, provides specific and mandatory polices that must be followed at all levels of the organization. These policies are enforceable by the LSC and National Board of Review process. The USA Swimming Safe Sport homepage is www.usaswimming.org/protect.
Gulf Swimming has established the position of Safe Sport Coordinator. This person will be responsible for the implementation and coordination of the USA Swimming Safe Sport Programs at the LSC level and will serve as the liaison between the USA Swimming Director of Safe Sport and the LSC. The appointed Safe Sport Coordinator is Paige Sikkema, email@example.com.
Resources and Additional Information
The following resources provide additional information about the Safe Sport initiative. For more information, please contact the LSC Safe Sport Chair – Paige Sikkema – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Coaches Curriculum
- USA Swimming SafeSport Page
- USA Swimming Reporting Form (Dealing with a Concern)
- USA Swimming Model Code of Conduct – Coach
- USA Swimming Model Code of Conduct – Athlete
- USA Swimming Model Code of Conduct – Parent
- USA Swimming Athlete Protection Policies
- USA Swimming Best Practice Guidelines
- USA Swimming Model Policy: Team Travel
- USA Swimming Model Policy: Action Plan to Address Bullying
- USA Swimming Model Policy: Electronic Communication
- Mandatory Athlete Protection Training for Non-Athlete members
- Athlete Training
- Parent Training
- How to Build a Lasting Safe Sport Club Culture
- Safe Sport Coordinator Job Description (title)